Saturday, December 12, 2009

So, is it a boo or a yay?

In case you hadn't noticed (and I'll forgive you if you hadn't we can't all be obsessed fangirls) Cinematic Sunrise is playing a brief farewell tour and then, well, they're saying farewell. It just so happens that their third to last show was in my hometown, and of course, I was there. So, the night in brief.

It was approximately 22 degrees outside when I left the house. That is what I like to call freaking cold. That is approximately what my yard looked like as I left, only this is from last week's storm, so there was even more snow (and it was darker).
In fact, the band Nocturnal Me didn't even make it to the show as apparently they left New Jersey at 8pm on Thursday, and couldn't get to Michigan by 7pm on Friday.

Anyway, all of the bands were pretty darn good. Josiah Gentry seemed like a nice kid, and was a half decent opening act (and let me tell you , I've seen some really shitty local opening bands). And Katie Stanley sounded a lot like Greta Salpeter (of the Hush Sound) except for that I couldn't hear a lot of her set as the girl slightly to the right of me kept complaining loudly about the fact that everyone was talking while she was on stage.


And then Craig Owens showed up, so she had to run away to meet him.

The Arrival were up next. They also didn't suck, although I completely hadn't realized that they would be there. Which doesn't really matter as I had never heard of them before, but they were really good. A little rock (read rawk) guitar, a little synth played by a computer, basically a little of the usual, but played well and energetically which pretty much makes it all worthwhile.






























After that it was finally time for the big moment. Cinematic Sunrise came on stage, and it was awesome. It would have been more awesome if three-quarters of the crowd hadn't come to the show with the sole intention of seducing and/or kidnapping Craig Owens (yes, I heard at least 3 plots to do either or both of those things) and therefore most people didn't really know any of the songs, but the band was really good. Really, really good, in fact.



















So, there you go. My night in brief. It was a fantastically good time, and I am sad to see the band go.

No comments: